Asphalt Shingle Roof Replacement
- Is Roofing Over a good alternative?
Replacing a roof as a home improvement project is a costly exercise.
You may think about roofing over as a way to save money. That means laying the new shingles over the old ones. As a way to save money on labour costs and disposal of the old roof cost, the benefits may be outweighed by some potential problems. There is a possibility that moisture problems resulting from heat build-up could reduce the life of the new shingles. Also, if any of the underlying plywood decking needed repairing, you will not see that without removing the old shingles.
Note: Check your shingle warranty with regard to it still being applicable if you roof over.
- Does your roof need repairs or replacement?
Contact All American Roofing for a free consultation.
- Measure your Roof
Your roofing contractor will measure your roof and provide an estimated replacement cost based on the square metres.
- Ventilation is critical for the longevity of your roof.
Roof ventilation works towards moderating your ceiling space or attic temperature in the summer, and reducing moisture build up in the winter. Your roofing contractor will advise you on the most suitable venting for the job to ensure the roof lasts for many, many years.
- Repairing the ply decking under the shingles
A proper repair job does not only mean simply removing the shingles, but also repairing the wooden decking underneath. Make sure your roofing contractor has made cost allowances for these repairs as any decking damage will not be seen until the old shingles have been removed. It’s not advisable to place new shingles over faulty ply decking as it will affect the durability of the new roofing materials.
- Protective Membrane Covering
Shingles should never be affixed to the raw timber decking on the roof. There needs to be a protective barrier such as a water shield to fully protect the home. In an area that experiences heavy rain, this is singularly important. Your roofing contractor should include all these additional materials needed for a proper roof replacement in the price. The extras include:
- drip edges
Ask your roofing contractor to provide an independent inspection and certification for that extra peace of mind. Your shingle roofing system is there to protect your home and possessions for many years to come, and the job needs to be up to standard. Discuss this with your contractor.
- The Wind Factor
The type of product you have purchased will have a wind strength rating. Prior to replacing your roof check the specifications of the material to ensure that it will be the right type and style to withstand weather conditions in your area. If you live in high wind areas or especially if there is a possibility of cyclonic winds and severe weather, make sure you have the right shingle selected. The warranties on shingles vary from 100 kph winds to 200 kph winds.
- Know your roofing contractor
Is your contractor licensed and accredited? Does he have adequate liability insurance? Does he supply warranties for his work and the materials used? Will the contractor need to obtain special construction permits from local council? Is your contractor reliable? What other work have they done in the area? These days, checking your contractor’s website for reviews and testimonials is very easy.
- After Sales Service
One of the most important elements of any home improvement project is the service you receive after the installation is complete. Does your contractor offer a standard warranty? What does that include:
For what length of time does the warranty cover? Is there an extended warranty? What does that include? For how long? What does it cost? How are service calls requested? Is there a cost? Will the company be around for the next 10 years if you need them?
It’s not the price
Everybody loves a bargain, and that usually equates to the lowest price. It’s better to be thinking of how much importance you place on your home, as an investment as well as the place you reside. Price may be important but so should the standard of the work. Remember, you get what you pay for. Here are some things to consider when looking at asphalt shingles and what the contractor’s charge includes:
- Quality products
- First class installation
- Cover all aspects of the roof replacement including
- protective coverings
- permits and inspections
- removal of and disposal of old roof
- delivery of new roofing materials
Will the price cover all the labour the project management and coordination?
Will the pricing include unforeseen costs such as repairing or replacing plywood decking sheets?
If you want a roof to last you a lifetime there are many more considerations than price.
The Best Roofing Contractor
- At All American Roofing, you will find the right contractor for your roof replacement. They will provide all the information and resources you will need to make a decision that is right for you.
- All American Roofing is confident that armed with all the information you need to make an informed decision about them, they will complete the work to your satisfaction and assist you all the way through the process. Starting from the initial free consultation to the measurement and pricing on through to the installation of your new roof.
- Our professional team at All American Roofing will help you with colour selection and material type as well as ensure that the final job looks great and is professionally completed. They also provide a complete solution to your roofing job that includes managing the project, measuring for and ordering the material, and obtaining the necessary permits. Schedules and timelines are their responsibility and to make sure that every step is done correctly.
- On completion of the installation, All American Roofing will be around to service and warranty the work.